Best way to deploy GStreamer framework with a Mac OS X application?

Alex Kontos ak935 at york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 04:05:01 PDT 2014

Hi all,

So, here's what I've done. I've built an application that calls upon
GStreamer in */Library/GStreamer.Framework/ *during compile time (and
therefore when the application runs, expects it there).

I build using command-line tools. This is the *only* way I can build this
application. I can't use the XCode GUI.

I want to submit this app to the store, but to do so I can't submit it as a
package (so I can bundle the GStreamer package installer) which means I'll
have to bundle GStreamer.framework with my application.

In the GStreamer SDK docs above, you will notice a tool called
osxrelocator.py. This is great, because it changes all refrences of
*/Library/GStreamer.Framework* to
*@executable_path/../Frameworks/GStreamer.framework/*

BUT

Unfortunately all of the GStreamer .dylibs have an issue... You need to use
install_name_tool -id to change their paths because install_name_tool
-change doesn't change the paths to themselves!

I've attempted to manually changed all the references using
install_name_tool -id but I must be missing files because when I run the
application whenever GStreamer is called it's never used. But when the
GStreamer framework is located in /Library/Framework everything works
beautifully.

What's the best way I can have the GStreamer framework located in
MyApp.app/Contents/Frameworks?

Thanks in advance!

Alex