Custom Codec with Generic Parser

David Weldon David.Weldon at vecima.com
Thu Sep 25 12:50:53 PDT 2014

We have a simple codec that is programmed into an FPGA, and accessed through the Intel HDA interface...  It consists of a simple Audio Function Group node, and an audio output node.  The codec should be returning all the mandatory commands required by the HD Audio specification...

I would like to know what needs to be done so that the codec can be recognized as a usable device by application level software.  Can the generic driver be used as is, or do we have to have a custom patch.  We would like to at first stream regular PCM audio to the codec.

Any help is appreciated!

Using the generic codec driver the codec appears as such:

cat card0/codec#0
Codec: Generic dead ID beef
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0xdeadbeef
Subsystem Id: 0xdeadbeef
Revision Id: 0x100000
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x40]: 48000
    bits [0x2]: 16
    formats [0x1]: PCM
Default Amp-In caps: N/A
Default Amp-Out caps: N/A
State of AFG node 0x01:
  Power states:  D0
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
GPIO: io=0, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=0, wake=0
Node 0x02 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x211: Stereo Digital
  Converter: stream=1, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
 IEC Coding Type: 0x0