video timeline

Christian Sell christian at gsvitec.com
Thu Apr 16 13:18:55 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am about to implement a video player which also requires a timeline. The
timeline consists of video frames picked from the underlying media with an
arbitrary timeline resolution, which are displayed as images in a horizontal
list. By timeline resolution I mean the number of frames which are picked from
the media, ranging fom, say, all frames to one frame per minute (this can change
dynamically via timeline zoom). While the video is playing back, the current
timeline frame should be highlighted (of course, a reasonable ratio between
playback speed and timeline resolution has to be maintained - running a 1:1
resolution timeline at full speed makes no sense)

Only a certain number of timeline frames will be requested at one time (roughly
3 * the number of frames that fit in a horizontal timeline bar). This "timeline
window" will shift along the playback direction, with a threshhold mechanism
that delays shifts (and thus reloads).

At this point I should mention that I am a GStreamer novice. What I am looking
for is an intelligent way to perform this timeline handling which minimizes
overhead. The idea would be to maintain 2 separate pipelines - one for playback
and one for timeline retrieval. Is that a feasible approach? Does anyone have
any useful hints how to tackle this?

thanks,
Christian