Troubleshooting gst-launch freezes/hangs - how?

Thiago Santos thiagoss at osg.samsung.com
Tue Aug 4 15:56:13 PDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 07:15 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a gstreamer pipeline that transcodes mpeg2 to HLS, and so far it works fine - for a few hours. Then it stops dead, no warnings, no errors.
>
> How do I troubleshoot this?
>
> Obviously with the problem only occurring once every few hours fiddling with the pipeline and hoping the best will take forever. Is there a way to introspect the pipeline somehow while the pipeline is running to see which element is stuck?

You can use GST_DEBUG to generate logs of the run, but a run of hours
can generate a massively large dump. You can try to guess which elements
are involved to not have to log everything. Something like:

GST_DEBUG=2,*hls*:9,*mpeg*:9,GST_SCHEDULING:9 will give some information
about the buffers flowing from pads to pads and also what the hls and
mpeg elements are doing.

Did you try running with gdb and checking where the threads are stuck
exactly? Might be a good starting point, too.

> Regards,
> Graham

Thiago Sousa Santos
Senior Multimedia Engineer, Open Source Group
Samsung Research America - Silicon Valley