Ubuntu ppa

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Aug 5 09:46:19 PDT 2015

On Mi, 2015-08-05 at 19:29 +0300, pablo platt wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Sebastian Dröge <
> sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:
> > On Mi, 2015-08-05 at 18:40 +0300, pablo platt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there a chance the ubuntu ppa could be updated?
> > > https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
> >
> > If you're interested in helping to get it updated, you could try to
> > contact the team to get upload access. It doesn't look like anybody
> > left there is interested in updating the packages.
> Where can I find the tools and scripts that were used to build the
> packages in the ppa?

You upload Debian source packages to the PPA, it will then build
binaries itself. The best way to update them would be to take the very
latest packages from Debian and adjust them accordingly to work
properly on Ubuntu.

> What's the reason for the loose of interest?

I'm not using Ubuntu since years, and they modify the Debian packages
(that I maintain) too much nowadays that I can just upload things
without testing. And I have more interesting things to do than setting
up a Ubuntu VM just for testing this.

No idea about the other people there.

> Building from source using cerbero takes hours compared to mintues
> with the ppa.

For Linux it's usually easier to just build GStreamer with the normal
./configure && make && make install, or by using the gst-uninstalled
script. And having the distribution take care of all the dependencies.