hardware decode on android

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Aug 6 02:07:20 PDT 2015

On Mi, 2015-08-05 at 20:28 -0700, 921261636 at qq.com wrote:
> Hello, i streamed h264 stream to android. I used avdec_h264,but it is
> too
> slow to decode video.
> I have searched many quetions about hardware decode on Android ,but i
> am not
> very sure about the answer.
> is the amcviddec-* codec is hardware codecs?

That depends on the device and exact element factory name. Usually
there are hardware codecs *and* software codecs.

Everything that is omxgoogle* or contains sec is a software codec IIRC,
everything else might be a hardware codec.

> the androidmedia plugin works in 1.5.2 version? i used it ,but it
>
> show no element androidmedia.

androidmedia is the plugin name, not the element factory name. The
element factories are named amcviddec-*, etc. The exact name depends on
the hardware.

If you use decodebin/playbin they will be automatically used instead of
avdec_h264 if possible. Otherwise if you want to build custom
pipelines, use the GstRegistry and GstElementFactory API to list all
video decoders and get the correct name.

> the last solution is to get the data from pipeline to decode it using
> mediacodec API.
> i want to know whether or not have other solution i can use.

The androidmedia plugin is using the android.media.MediaCodec API. So
better get that running instead :)