Multiple pipelines in an application

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Aug 21 04:07:08 PDT 2015

On Fr, 2015-08-21 at 11:44 +0200, Hannes Weisbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing an application which handles two video streams from USB
> video class devices, which runs on the Raspberry Pi.  The cameras
> stream H.264.  The application needs to store a high-quality version
> locally on disk (using filesink).  Additionally a downscaled, lower
> quality RTP stream should be provided.  Decompression and compression
> is done using the Raspberry's hardware acceleration (with gst-omx).
> I have implemented the streams using qt-gstreamer.
>
> Right now my application has two pipelines, one for each camera
> stream.  Occasionally, the program crashes, around the time the
> second pipeline goes into playing state.
>
> After a bit of googling I found an old message from this list [0],
> saying that multiple pipelines in one application are not easily
> doable.  I was wondering if that limitation still applies, or if I
> have a bug somewhere else.

Multiple pipelines in the same application is not a problem at all, you
don't have to do anything special for making that work.

What might not work however is to use the same hardware resources twice
at the same time, or libraries used by GStreamer might not be able to
do things twice in the same process.

Can you file a bug about this with a reproducible testcase, backtrace
of the crash and a GStreamer debug log?