Distortion with all things gstreamer and jack

Bearcat Şándor bearcatsandor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:29:55 PST 2015

I'm trying to set up my system for development and recording with
gstreamer. I'm running jack into gstreamer into alsa and have turned
pulseaudio off.  Jack runs with only occasional xruns.

If i play a music track (flac format most of the time) after a few minutes
i get a distortion that sounds like there is an overlay of static. I can
still hear the music through it. If i pause the player for 8 - 10 seconds
then hit play, it performs fine for another few minutes then does it again.
The timing is not consistent.

Playing videos on say youtube through Chrome (uses gstreamer) i  find that
after a few minutes the sound distorts in such a way that it sounds like
it's being sent through a fan. It's almost echos but not quite enough to
sound as if there were multiple tracks playing at once. Again if i pause it
for a8 - 10 seconds it goes away for a few minutes.

This *only* happens with gstreamer, not mpv/mplayer based players on the
same set up.

This is not a pro machine by any stretch. It's a 6 core amd with 16 gigs of
ram, running Gnome 3. The soundcard is just an Intel HD on the mainboard.
I'm just playing before i get a pro-card like an RME.

Any idea what i should look for? A cache issue?

Jack config:
frames 256
sample rate 48k
periods 4
port max 256
timeout 500ms
(all for  a ridiculous latency of 21.3 ms)

Limits file:
@realtime       hard    rtprio          20
@realtime       soft    rtprio          10
@realtime - memlock unlimited

I don't have my kernel compiled with preemt. Is that even needed anymore?
Kernel is  4.0.5-gentoo

I note that in the qtjackcrl settings, the word length is greyed out and
locked at 16, not 24. Why is that and can i fix that too while i'm at it?

Thank you for any help given.
--
Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC
Jabber/xmpp/gtalk/email: bearcat at feline-soul.net
MSN: bearcatsandor at hotmail.com
Yahoo: bearcatsandor
AIM: bearcatmsandor
My public pgp key is included for verification of my identity