Text relocation in Android gstreamer library: error compilation after API=23

Gregoire Gentil gregoire at gentil.com
Mon Dec 21 11:43:03 PST 2015

I have an Android gstreamer library. It was initially compiled with
version 1.5.1 on API 19 or 21. I had a warning message stating that
there are some text relocations but there was no problem.

I upgraded to API 23, NDK revsion 10e as well as gstreamer 1.6. If I use

<uses-sdk
     android:minSdkVersion="14"
     android:targetSdkVersion="22" />

in the manifest, everything works fine.

If I use

<uses-sdk
     android:minSdkVersion="14"
     android:targetSdkVersion="23" />

it still compiles but it doesn't work at run-time. The device says that
it can't find the library though it's in the apk file.

Before the upgrade, I tried to add -fPIC but I was still getting the
warning. I was unsure if the relocation was in my code or if it was in
the Android gstreamer binaries.

Since the upgrade to gstreamer 1.6, I don't get any more warning or
error during compilation. But now it fails at run-time.

I'm wondering if the gstreamer binaries had or have some text
relocation. I don't think that I'm doing anything special in my
gstreamer code that would trigger a relocation but I'm unsure.

Here is a couple of link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34373984/missing-library-for-android-6-x-app-when-compiling-with-targetsdkversion-23-32

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=3028

Any idea?