GStreamer application access violation in random locations

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Dec 23 07:40:10 PST 2015

On Mi, 2015-12-23 at 06:33 -0800, pfarmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am trying to run GStreamer within a Simulink C++ S-function. It
> works occasionally, but unfortunately it does crash every now and
> then at GStreamer functions. I guess its a multi-threading problem.
> But as far as I could see, all of the gstreamer functions all called
> from within the same thread (from within S-Function callback
> functions). I also tried to protect each call with a mutex ... no
> sucess.

In general, GStreamer is also thread-safe so that's unlikely the
problem :)

> I ran out of Ideas on how to tackle this. Also If its a bug, how
> could I get the necessary information?

Can you provide a simple test case to reproduce the problem, maybe even
a standalone testcase?

What exactly is your GStreamer code doing? Maybe show the GStreamer
specific parts of it.

> What could i try to find the problem?
> [...]

The stack traces look very curious, especially the last two. I assume
you're running gst_init(), otherwise it would always fail... but maybe
there is other code in your process that uses a different version of
GLib or GStreamer? It all looks very weird :)