Question about integrating proprietary h264 encoders in gstreamer

Ottavio Campana o.campana at videotec.com
Tue Feb 3 06:03:47 PST 2015

Well, I'd love not to have to deal with this "monster" wrapper. In fact, my first try was to wrap the source and the encoder in two different elements, using GstBaseSrc and GstVideoEncoder classes, because this solution gives much better flexibility.

The problem that I faced was that I am having horrible performance, because I need to copy the acquired frame into a GstBuffer per passing it to the GstVideoEncoder and this makes the whole thing terribly slow.

I checked v4l2src, as far as I understand it also copies the acquired frame before re-enqueuing it in the driver, which is something I want to avoid.

My perfect solution would be a source that passes the pointer of the acquired frame to the successive elements without copying them and that re enqueues the uncompressed frame in the driver once all the processing is done. But I haven't found yet an example to do that, therefore I think it is not possible.

Ottavio