imx6 / mainline linux / basic problems

Ian Molton imolton at ad-holdings.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 02:26:40 PST 2015

On 05/02/15 10:02, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:

>>> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc
>>> location=/home/H264_test1_Talkinghead_mp4_480x360.mp4 ! qtdemux
>>> ! h264parse ! v4l2video1dec ! videoconvert ! fbdevsink
>>>
>>> Haven't tried 1080p though.
>>
>> Likewise - but its incredibly slow. Are you saying that its
>> getting a good framerate in your case?
>
> The problem is the latter part - the videoconvert and fbdevsink. They
> color-convert pixels and copy them to the framebuffer with the CPU.
> Ideally, you'd want to pass the dmabuf FDs from the v4l decoder to
> some sort of sink that can render frames directly from the FDs. I do
> not know if such a thing exists for mainline.

The thing is, the performance drop for *any* method of getting at the
decoded data seems to be dramatic, even if I dont convert it further...

If I use a filesink after v4l2video1dec (and my FS is on SATA) I see
maybe 4 FPS. I can get 80MB/s plus out of my SATA drive, so it should
be OK for this. not full speed, but not TOO abysmal...

even to a tmpfs I see about the same framerate. Maybe 6FPS.

-Ian