imx6 / mainline linux / basic problems

Ian Molton imolton at ad-holdings.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 01:43:35 PST 2015

On 05/02/15 20:16, Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:

>  From what I understand you are trying to decode and display. So,
> basically, you will probably bet more on latest imx-drm than on the
> csi part.

I need to decode several images for simultaneous display.

I would think I can decode them all into one YUV plane and display that,
but there will be other things on screen too.

> Apart from that, on what are you displaying ? HDMI ? If so, the HDMI
> phy supports YUV to RGB conversion.

HDMI for now, but LVDS also.

> If you can avoid using an IPU scaler it would be better but, if you
> really want to, it is possible.

Of course, the less interference the better - but I think we will need
to use the IPU :/

> There is actually two main drivers, one beeing here (not tested) :
> http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=pza/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tmp/imx-ipu-scaler

I have tried this one.

> The other one is based on Steve's work, and in our tree :
> https://github.com/Vodalys/linux-2.6-imx/tree/scaler_debug/drivers/staging/media/imx6/m2m
>
> This one is working correctly on a driver side, could make it convert
> YUY2 to NV12 1080p @30fps easily.

That sounds promising... does it work that well for RGB24 too?

I will be having a look at this one today.

> It needs some effort to work with gstreamer, and we have started
> something here. But no time right now to go to the end of it.

Any change you could make the work public so that I might have a go?

-Ian