imx6 / mainline linux / basic problems

Jean-Michel Hautbois jhautbois at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 05:26:25 PST 2015

Hi Ian,

> On 05/02/15 20:16, Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
>>
>> The other one is based on Steve's work, and in our tree :
>>
>> https://github.com/Vodalys/linux-2.6-imx/tree/scaler_debug/drivers/staging/media/imx6/m2m
>>
>> This one is working correctly on a driver side, could make it convert
>> YUY2 to NV12 1080p @30fps easily.
>>
>> It needs some effort to work with gstreamer, and we have started
>> something here. But no time right now to go to the end of it.
>

> Ok, so regarding the above;
>
> I have now got a build based on 3.19-rc7 with steves patches (and then
> yours) on top. It compiles, and appears to probe and produce reasonable
> output to v4l-ctl.
>
> Yuo mentioned that you have been testing this without gstreamer - what tool
> are you using to do so?

v4l2-ctl is the one.

> Attempting to use it with gstreamer results in:
>
> 0:00:00.709880000  1451   0xe79af0 ERROR                default
> video-frame.c:147:gst_video_frame_map_id: failed to map video frame plane 1
> 0:00:00.710638666  1451   0xe79af0 ERROR                   v4l2
> gstv4l2bufferpool.c:159:gst_v4l2_buffer_pool_copy_buffer:<v4l2video0convert0:pool:sink>
> could not map buffer
> 0:00:00.710903666  1451   0xe79af0 ERROR                   v4l2
> gstv4l2bufferpool.c:1833:gst_v4l2_buffer_pool_process:<v4l2video0convert0:pool:sink>
> failed to prepare data
> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQTDemux:qtdemux0: GStreamer
> encountered a general stream error.
>
> Following what appears to be a long sequence of calling v4l2_m2m_fop_mmap
> (successfully, ret = 0).
>
> Is this what you were referring to when you said it needs work to work with
> gstreamer?

Exactly. And probably something worth mentionning, you should activate
some debugging on the driver if you want more information.
I have no time right now to go further, but it needs debugging in
gstreamer if you want to be able to use the color conversion. And you
need to work on the scaler part too, as this is not yet supported by
the element right now.

JM