Trying to compile GStreamer for windows for static linking

JonnyJP j.p.murrow at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Feb 17 03:36:11 PST 2015

Hi,
I'm new to GStreamer development so please go easy on me. I'll outline what
I'm trying to do first...

We've decided to use GStreamer in our cross platform Qt project and I'm
tasked with the investigation of this.

The .libs that are provided do not contain any compiled code so even if we
link statically, we need to have about 5mb of .dlls stored in our exe's
folder just for a basic GStreamer app (i.e. one that just calls init and
gets version info).

We're very restricted in terms of storage so including libraries we don't
need isn't an option.

So, my problem...

I'm trying to follow the steps here:

http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Building+from+source+using+Cerbero

This seemed to work as I have the gstreamer-sdk folder and it contains all
of the .a and .h files we need for Linux but there isn't any Windows stuff
there (probably because I haven't configured it properly I assume).

My cerbero.cbc looks like this:

import os
from cerbero.config import Platform, Architecture, Distro

packages_prefix = 'gstreamer-sdk'
packager = 'GStreamer SDK packagers <packages at gstreamer.com>'
#prefix = "/opt/gstreamer-sdk"
prefix='/opt/gstreamer-sdk-jp/0.10/x86_64'

git_root = "git://anongit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer-sdk"

# Uncomment to allow parallel builds
# allow_parallel_build = True

# Uncomment this to allow cross-building for another architecture
target_arch = Architecture.X86_64

The error I'm getting when running 'cerbero package gstreamer-sdk is:

Recipe 'glib' failed at the build step 'configure'

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, any help is appreciated