Google Summer of Code: Proposals and Mentors

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:43:03 PST 2015

> On Wednesday, 18 February 2015, Nirbheek Chauhan
> <nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Sebastian Dröge
>> <sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:

>> > Does anybody have any other ideas, or would like to be added as a
>> > potential mentor for any of these projects? Would be great to get some
>> > more ideas and potential mentors so we can properly handle all
>> > projects :)
>> >

>> It might be useful to have a project to improve Cerbero.
>>
>> Cerbero's main use-case right now is to build binaries
>> tarballs/packages from upstream sources. It's quite difficult to use
>> it for other uses such as local development; which is a shame because
>> it's currently our best way of doing cross-compilation.
>>
>> List of deficiencies (Incomplete):
>> ==================================
>> 1) Local development is hard; current best way is to push to a custom
>> remote/branch
>> 2) Difficult to maintain multiple checkouts of Cerbero (gst 1.4,
>> master, custom, etc)
>> 3) Downloaded-sources management is suboptimal (no checksums, etc)
>> 4) Built-sources management is supoptimal (mtime is compared, which is
>> often misleading)
>> 5) No way to "uninstall"/"wipeone" a recipe; need to wipe everything
>> 6) Essentially no documentation about how to use it
>> 7) More![1]
>

> Perhaps also support for some kind of recipe overlay that is just a path to
> a directory whose recipes override/extend those present in the cerbero repo
> now?

That's already supported using external_recipes and external_packages
in you .cbc file:

 external_recipes = {
    'fluendo-recipes': ("/path/to/recipes/dir", 1),
    'collabora-recipes': ("/path/to/recipes/dir", 2),
 }

The dictionary key is the name of the repository and the tuple value
is the path to the directory with the recipes and the priority for the
repository.

Andoni

> Better Mac OS X / iOS framework support so that you can skip the whole move
> built framework out the way and then install the .pkg files malarkey.
>
> Best regards,
> Rob
>

>> A subset or a superset of these problems can be turned into a GSoC
>> project. The aim is not to turn Cerbero into a full-fledged package
>> management system, but something that at least fulfills basic
>> development requirements such as "don't arbitrarily rebuild everything
>> ffs". :)
>>
>> I volunteer myself to mentor/co-mentor this project[2] if we think
>> it's worth doing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nirbheek
>>
>> 1. I'm sure Alessandro has many choice expletives he would love to
>> share with us on the matter
>> 2. I have experience being a GSoC student and a mentor with the Gentoo
>> project
>>
>> --
>> ~Nirbheek Chauhan

Andoni Morales Alastruey