Does GStreamer support playback over http through a proxy?

Joseph Dougherty jdougherty at jwdougherty.com
Wed Feb 18 18:43:28 PST 2015

Hello,

  I have been introduced to GStreamer through the Pithos project (
https://github.com/pithos/pithos). I've come across an issue where
GStreamer cannot connect to an HTTP URI to playback an audio file when I am
on a private network and need to connect through an HTTP proxy. I have
tried the following two methods:

    gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=[myURI]

  gst-launch -v souphttpsrc location=[url] proxy=[myproxy]

For each attempt, I have defined the `http_proxy` environment variable. In
both cases, GStreamer is unable to connect to the server to playback the
file. The first command works when I am not behind the proxy, the second
one doesn't but I am not so certain about the syntax on that command.

Does GStreamer support HTTP proxies, and if so, what might I be doing
incorrectly?

Thank you for your assistance.

Joseph