Remove an element from a paused pipeline

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Fri Feb 20 05:06:55 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 11:44 +0100, Alicia Romero wrote:

Hi Alicia,

> how can I remove from a paused pipeline an element?
>
> I tried to set the element to NULL state and then remove it from the
> pipeline. but it get stuck
>
> when I change the state from pause to null, and the last logging is:
>
> DEBUG      setting PAD_MODE NONE, set flushing

You might find some bits in this blog post interesting:

https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/01/gstreamer-dynamic-pipelines/

One problem is that if your pipeline is actually in PAUSED state (which
usually means blocked at the sinks, although it depends a bit on your
exact pipeline), you may not be able to just remove elements from it,
since the streaming thread is 'stuck' inside the element so to say.
You'd either have to flush part of the pipeline to make it come unstuck,
or set it to playing. It's all in the details though.

Cheers
 -Tim