mpegtsmux files and Safari playback

Jin Choi jinschoi at me.com
Mon Feb 23 12:20:16 PST 2015

I’m trying to live stream video to Safari using h264 in a MPEG-TS format, either using tcpserversink or hlssink. I've come across many people trying to do this but haven't seen any claimed success. I’ve determined that something about the files that are being generated by mpegtsmux are just not acceptable to Safari for some reason.

I have generated a test file using:

gst-launch-1.0 -v -e audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! voaacenc ! mpegtsmux name=mux ! queue ! filesink location="/var/www/html/test.ts" videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc ! mux.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3845046/gstreamer/test.ts

When I convert this file to an MPEG-TS file preserving the streams as-is using VLC, I end up with a file that can be played:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3845046/gstreamer/test-recoded.ts

That makes me think it's something about mpegtsmux's output that is to blame. Is there any way to determine what that might be?