Google Summer of Code: Proposals and Mentors

Rob robert.swain at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 10:26:38 PST 2015

On 27 February 2015 at 18:59, Stefan Sauer <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:

>  On 02/27/2015 12:38 AM, Rob wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, 26 February 2015, Stefan Sauer <ensonic at hora-obscura.de
> <mailto:ensonic at hora-obscura.de> <ensonic at hora-obscura.de>> wrote:
> >

> On 02/18/2015 12:53 PM, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > On Di, 2015-02-17 at 16:59 +0000, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> GStreamer is going to apply for Google Summer of Code 2015. But we need
> >> your help!
> >>
> >> We would really appreciate if you suggested proposals, volunteered for
> >> mentoring, or added content to the proposals.
> >>
> >> Current list of proposals is here:
> >> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/GSOC/socprojects.html
>
> > Does anybody have any other ideas, or would like to be added as a
> > potential mentor for any of these projects? Would be great to get some
> > more ideas and potential mentors so we can properly handle all
> > projects :)
>
> What about porting gst-debug-viewer to gtk+3 and improving it?
>
>  Are you suggesting to make this a web-app? If done cleverly (e.g. open
> log from url) could be sweet.

Imagine a world where for any GStreamer process, you can do something like:

GST_DEBUG_PORT=8080

and then open http://localhost:8080/graphs for a list of pipelines which
you can then open to see their graphs and see them update dynamically.
They're perhaps SVG pipelines that are interactive and inspectable. Maybe
you can even track buffers through the paths through the pipeline or get
statistics about how long each element spends processing buffers, see each
element's latency contribution, see where overruns (full queues) or
underruns (empty queues) and a bunch of other stuff are. I would love
something like this.

Random side-thought: An element knows best how its input buffers map to
output buffers, why not make it an element's responsibility to indicate
that mapping somehow so that all buffer life cycles are completely mapped?
That plus hooks to get information about a buffer when it is created /
modified / copied / transformed into another buffer / destroyed should
allow some pretty shiny investigative tools.

Rob