Gstreamer source, which source I should use?

Peter Hafner p.hafner75 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 01:38:27 PST 2015

Hey Gent's,
I have a application that provides JEPG's Picture by Picture.
This application can write the bin-data to a FIFO, or stdout, or to a
udp socket.
I need to transcode this MJPEG's to h264 video stream.
In the end, with a Hummingboard :-) and the internal VPU.
Using this plugin, https://github.com/Freescale/gstreamer-imx
The reason why compressing is, that I need to stream via Wifi.

Here, here some information about the device, that provides the stream.
https://danman.eu/blog/reverse-engineering-lenkeng-hdmi-over-ip-extender/

If I'm using my application on desktop-machine,
I can watch the stream with gstreamer, and this pipeline!
gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc buffer-size=1000000 port=5006 ! queue ! jpegdec
! queue ! autovideosink
Ok, I never try the recording or mixing.

My question is regarding udpsrc.
Is the udp socket in my application the "best" source for my
"gstreamer-source"? Or should I think about, to use stdin/stdout.
Or via Fifo? How dos the gstreamer fdsrc working with Fifo, should I
write always a full JPEG from my application?

Thanks for the hints :-)

Peter