controlling camerabin

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 02:43:31 PST 2015

I have a program which uses camerabin to take snapshots – and it works
most of the time. However, the program is not very rugged in its error
handling – because I don't know what I should look for. Below, I first
describe the scenario and then ask some questions.

*Scenario*.

My program runs on a Fedora system. My version of GStreamer is
approximately 2 years old – I can't remember the version number but it
is 1.x. I want to be able to take photos of the highest resolution
(number of pixels) that the system can support. When I launch camerabin
it automatically launches a window for a viewfinder. I do not need the
Viewfinder – although it does give the comfort of knowing that the
camera is connected. By default, this window is the same size as the
capture size – and therefore occupies most of the screen and hides my
program's User Interface. (There is an option to specify a size for the
Viewfinder window, but unless it exactly matches the capture size, the
pipeline will not launch.) What I do (and what I tell my users to do) is
to grab the Viewfinder window by the title bar and drag it nearly off
the screen, out of the way. Sometimes however, the user will click on
the 'Kiss of Death' button at the top right and close the Viewfinder
window – and it would seem that this has a fatal effect on the camerbin
pipeline. My program does not notice that camerabin has stopped running.

*Questions*

 1.

    Is there some message/event/signal that I should be able to monitor
    for to tell me that the pipeline has been stopped (for whatever
    reason, but especially because the Viewfinder window has been closed)?

 2.

    Can I launch camerabin without the Viewfinder?

 3.

    Is there a way that I can programmatically bring my User Interface
    to the front or send the Viewfinder window to the back after I have
    started the camerbin pipeline?

 4.

    Is there a way that I can programmatically control the position of
    the Viewfinder window before/after I launch camerabin?

An answer to any one of those questions would probably solve my problem.

Thanks in advance

Ian