Confused about GST_PAD_SET_PROXY_CAPS and negotiation

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Jan 25 05:57:52 PST 2015

On 2015-01-25 13:32, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> My element derives from GstElement. I'm not quite confident with
> GObjects for the moment, so I didn't dare go to far away from the
> plugin template. I somehow thought that GstVideoFilter may be doing
> too many things that I didn't need or want (QoS, frameskip, and
> whatnot) which may get in my way... I guess it's time for me to get
> more familiar with GObjects to learn writing a plugin that derives
> from GstVideoFilter!

I think you can disable such features if necessary.

In general, I strongly recommend to stick with base classes other than
GstElement, because with the latter, there is a lot of extra work that
you need to worry about. It is rather easy to miss crucial parts when
you derive from GstElement directly (especially if you are new to
GStreamer), which in turn can cause subtle bugs later. The base classes
take care of this for you.