How to track buffer caps in gstreamer 1.x ?

Ben Bridgwater bbridgwater at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 06:53:28 PST 2015

Hi,
I'm new to gstreamer development - converting an existing application
(interactive spectrogram) from using my own pipeline to use gstreamer
instead.

I gather that in gstreamer 0.1 the caps of a pad sourcing a buffer were
also recorded in the buffer itself, but since 1.0 that is no longer the
case, and it's up to elements to tracks caps via caps events instead...

My question is what are the options and best practices with gstreamer 1.x
for tracking buffer caps in the case where caps are changing rapidly and
buffers may be processed out of order? In my case this requirement comes
from a downstream display buffer where paint events may request arbitrary
parts of the display to be updated - corresponding to arbitrary sequences
of buffers needing to be processed, and the need to know what the caps
(data format) are for each buffer.

Thanks for any pointers and advice!

Ben