generic rate element

philippe renon philippe_renon at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 7 06:14:28 PDT 2015

Hi,
I need to write a generic rate element that would be able to throttle or interpolate generic buffers.It would be similar in function to the videorate or audiorate elements but would work on nondescript buffers (could be text buffers...).
I am looking into introducing a GstBaseRate class. This class would eventually serve as a base class for the videorate and audiorate elements (in a later stage). That base class would also be used for my own specific element where I need special logic to merge or interpolate buffers.
I'll obviously use audiorate and/or videorate as a source of inspiration.
That leads me to my first question:Audiorate derives directly from GstElement while videorate derives from GstBaseTransform.Is there a reason for this difference or could audiorate also be made to derive from GstBaseTransform?In other words, should the GstBaseRate derive from GstElement or GstBaseTransform?
And more generally, does the above make sense or are audiorate and videorate irreconcilable by nature and I would be better of writing my own rate element without trying to introduce a GstBaseRate class?
Cheers,Philippe.