GST_MESSAGE_DEVICE_ADDED never called

Osmo Antero osmoma at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:33:43 PDT 2015

Hello,

Check system messages with dmesg to see if the kernel detects your camera.
$ dmesg -wH

You may also study how audio-recorder handles new and removed audio-input
devices.
Ref:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~audio-recorder/audio-recorder/trunk/view/head:/src/gst-devices.c

Sometimes it takes upto 5 - 6 seconds before audio-recorder (or Gstreamer)
reacts to new hw.
Audio-recorder has also a refresh-button to reload the device list.
Disconnected devices are handled immediately.

A.r: https://launchpad.net/~audio-recorder

Moma.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Luis Garcia <garcia.luis at gmx.de> wrote:

> It is a logitech camera, an USB Webcam.
> I am running Suse Linux.
> When I connect the camera it appears in /dev the new device, /dev/video0.
> And I added :
>     if (!gst_device_monitor_start (monitor))
>     g_error ("Failed to start device monitor!");
>
> to check if device monitor starts, and it starts without an error.
>
> Greetings
>  *Gesendet:* Freitag, 10. Juli 2015 um 18:08 Uhr
> *Von:* "Olivier CrĂȘte" <olivier.crete at collabora.com>
> *An:* gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> *Betreff:* Re: GST_MESSAGE_DEVICE_ADDED never called
> Hi,
>
> Is it a USB Webcam? Are you running a generic desktop distribution
> (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) or something strange?
> When you connect the camera, does a /dev/video<X> device appear? Check
> the return value of gst_device_monitor_start().
>
> Olivier
> --
> Olivier CrĂȘte
> olivier.crete at collabora.com

Sent from my PC, laptop or phone with Ubuntu-Linux.