Newbie Need Help: Cannot Find x264enc

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Jun 4 15:38:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 18:14 -0400, Zheng Xing wrote:

Hi,

> I am trying to get started with GStreamer.
>
> I git cloned the following repos (up-to-date commit on master):
> gstreamer/gstreamer
> gstreamer/gst-plugins-base
> gstreamer/gst-plugins-good
> gstreamer/gst-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad
> gstreamer/gst-libav
> gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server
>
> and installed them in the same sequence with ./autogen.sh && make &&
> sudo make install

> Question is why I cannot find x264enc with "gst-inspect-1.0 |grep
> 264".

In order to get the full set of plugins you need to install all the
relevant libraries and library headers. If you're on Linux the package
you need to install might be called e.g. libx264-dev or x264-devel.
After that run ./autogen.sh again (or just ./configure).

If you're on debian or ubuntu something like this should get you a good
selection of required libs:

 $ sudo apt-get build-dep libgstreamer1.0-0 \
   gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good \
   gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad

 Cheers
  -Tim