Gstreamer and Python on the Mac

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:08:25 PDT 2015

> On  21-Jun-2015, at 18:33 , Andoni Morales <ylatuya at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> El 19/6/2015 11:22 p. m., "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> escribió:
> >
> > Andoni,
> > thanks for your note. I had indeed in the mean time found out that
> gobject-introspection is available nowadays, only that it is disabled if
> you do a universal build.
>
> The universal build is a bit tricky to handle due to the design of gobject
> introspection. Anyway the universal builds are no longer maintained, the
> last version of Mac with a 32 bits kernel is Lion and the last Mac with a
> 32 bits arch is from 2006.
>

> Hmm, you’re right. But I’m still building all software that I distribute
> universal 32/64, specifically to be able to target 10.7, as there are still
> quite a few pretty capable machines from that era around (Mac Pro, last
> white MacBook, Mac Mini). And actually I have a few sitting here and there
> as semi-turnkey systems:-)
>
> I seem to read in your email that any mods to universal builds to enable
> gobject introspection won’t be accepted into the mainstream. Is that
> correct?

You can find my attemp at supporting universal builds of gi here:
https://github.com/ylatuya/cerbero/commit/1802e841bfba84fae63a45dc3a1d97e8ccac49de

My approach consisted in adding a new configuratoin option to
gobject-introspection for configuring where typelibs and gir files are
installed:
  * --with-typelib-suffix=girepository-1.0/$ARCH
  * --with-gir-suffix=gir-1.0/$ARCH

This way each architecture installs on its own subdirectory and at runtime
the same subdirectory is used depending on which arch is loaded.

I don't think there is much intereset in supporting 32bits, compared to the
burden of maintaining it, the OS X system plugins are now using new API's
like the VideoToolBox that wouldn't be available in those macs. You should
ask slomo or _tim in #gstreamer for that.

Andoni