v4l2src support for multi channel video capture cards

anno domini genericgroupmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:30:18 PST 2015

Hi All,

We have been using various video capture cards running under linux (Fedora)
for quite a while now with gstreamer and it has been very successful - so
thanks!
We used the older Kodicom type BT878 cards with 8 separate video inputs,
each with its own dedicated chip.  These are now no longer in production
but have been replaced by cards that claim to support up either 4,8 or 16
video inputs. We have tried these out but it appears that they only have 4
dedicated chips and only show up as 4 individual video devices i.e.

/dev/video0
/dev/video1
/dev/video2
/dev/video3.

It looks like there is a concept of channels with these cards whereby each
video device can in fact support 4 logically independent inputs. Software
like zoneminder and i think possibly VLC and ffmpeg can support these
channels but from what i can see gstreamer does not.

Can anyone confirm if gstreamer can support these cards.
If it doesn't are there any plan to do so.
Lastly can anyone suggest a way in which we could hook gstreamer into the
channels by some other means?

Thanks in advance!