Pipeline freezes only on OS X

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:16:15 PDT 2015

Hello.

I have a problem where video is played normally under Linux and Windows,
but in OS X (10.9.5) the pipeline just freezes.

Small example program that triggers the problem:

   #include <glib.h>
   #include <gst/gst.h>

   gpointer threadFunc(gpointer ignored)
   {
       g_main_loop_run(g_main_loop_new(NULL, FALSE));
       return 0;
   }

   int main(int argc, char* argv[])
   {
       GThread* thread = g_thread_new(NULL, threadFunc, NULL);
       gst_init(&argc, &argv);
       GstElement* pipeline = gst_element_factory_make("playbin", NULL);
       g_object_set(G_OBJECT(pipeline), "uri", "file:///test.mkv", NULL);
       gst_element_set_state(pipeline, GST_STATE_PLAYING);
       g_thread_join(thread);
       return 0;
   }

Compiled with:

   $ clang -I/Library/Frameworks/GStreamer.framework/Headers main.c
-framework GStreamer

(Command-line tools installed by XCode 6.1.1.)

This plays fine under Linux and Windows. On OS X, it doesn't. It just
hangs. No window shows up. "playbin" seems to deadlock.

I'm using GStreamer 1.4.5, installed from the official OS X *.pkg files
(which install in /Library/Frameworks/).

The GST_DEBUG=6 log is huge (33MB) and I can't see the problem in it.

Online viewing:

   http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/misc/gst_osx_log.txt

Compressed (1MB) for downloading:

   http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/misc/gst_osx_log.txt.xz