starting android development

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 20 01:41:20 PDT 2015

On Do, 2015-03-19 at 22:30 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> I am trying to learn Java and Android development at the same time.
> Fortunately, I know GStreamer fairly well. I have the Android Studio, the
> SDK and the NDK installed on my Linux system and have downloaded the
> GStreamer 1.4.5 ARM v7 binaries. I have also downloaded the GStreamer SDK
> and have been looking at ~slomo/gst-sdk-tutorials. I am confused and can't
> seem to 'put it all together'. I have read and built and executed (on my
> Android phone) some of the pure Android samples, including JNI samples. I
> feel that I could convert a GStreamer Android SDK based tutorial to the
> Android Studio structure.
>
> Here are the questions that I immediately don't understand.
> 1. Do I need both the 1.4.5 binaries and the GStreamer SDK?

The GStreamer 1.4.5 binaries contain everything that the "GStreamer SDK"
contains, just 3 years newer.

> 2. Do I need to build anything to get started working with the GStreamer
> tutorials?

You just need to extract the binaries to some please and then set
GSTREAMER_ROOT_ANDROID in the environment to that place. Then you can
just build them like any other Android project.

> 3. Tutorial #1 imports package org.freedesktop.gstreamer.GStreamer, which I
> don't think that I have. How should I build it, or where is it?

That's autogenerated by ndk-build.

> 4. Which tutorials are more current, ~slomo or the GStreamer SDK?

See above :)

> 5. Is it possible to run something like the command line gst-launch
> application on Android to test pipelines and installations?

Yes but command line applications don't have access to the hardware
codecs and other things, and you need a rooted device.

See
https://coaxion.net/blog/2014/10/gstreamer-remote-controlled-testing-application-for-android-ios-and-more/
for some gst-launch style application for Android/iOS.

Also see
https://github.com/sdroege/gst-player
for some (hopefully) cleaner code (than the tutorials) for how to do
GStreamer Android development by properly splitting the backend (C) and
the frontend (Java).