H.264, hardware acceleration, and the free "radeon" driver

me at beroal.in.ua me at beroal.in.ua
Sat May 9 12:00:14 PDT 2015

Thank you for your answer.

VDPAU is fine. "mpv" and "vlc" use it and {{{
$ vdpauinfo
display: :0.0   screen: 0
API version: 1
Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0
. . .
}}}

I'm using "libva-vdpau-driver" 0.7.4-2 from the repository
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/libva-vdpau-driver/
{{{
$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.37.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
}}}
So I added
r600_drv_video.so -> vdpau_drv_video.so
and hardware acceleration works!

The remaining question is why it does not work out of the box. Such a
minor change is needed. Maybe, "libva-vdpau-driver" should search for
"vdpau_drv_video.so"? I actually have "Northern Islands", not R600.