Rtsp over tcp: Received packet without DTS after a gap

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun May 17 09:13:33 PDT 2015

On So, 2015-05-17 at 17:51 +0200, Mailing List SVR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian, based on my experience, when there is low bandwidth between
> client and server some rtsp server drop something in tcp mode (I think
> it is similar to what multifdsink do when a client is late).
>
> Please take a look at the attacched capture (rtsp over tcp), you can see
> several gaps in sequence number, for example 60-61 ... 63 or
> 65...67...70 or 79-80...85 and so on, however this stream is properly
> handled by gstreamer, so I don't fully understand your answer, I know
> that tcp is a reliable protocol but probably the sender can dedice to
> drop something probably based on client sending queue size,

That makes sense, yes. We would have to implement something to resync
with TCP after a gap then. The main problem here is that for TCP we only
measure the capture time at the very beginning once, not for following
packets (as TCP generally has a lot of buffering everywhere and we can't
assume that packets arrive in real time, like we do with UDP).