troubles when pixel-aspect-ratio != 1.0

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:24:34 PDT 2015

I've built a videowall player pipeline that works for videos with square
pixels, but when someone tries to play something with a different pixel
aspect ratio, the video gets clipped, cropped and displayed wrong.

I'm trying to sort out the culprits, but pixel-aspect-ratio isn't really
discussed in the docs, and I don't actually know how most elements respond.
For that matter, I never know when talking about widths and heights of
frames, if that is in stored-pixels or displayed-pixels.

For example, when one says ... ! video/x-raw,width=1280 ! ...
I've been assuming that that is in display pixels, not stored pixels. Am I
right, or wrong?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.