Appsrc Buffer Pool

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:18:43 PDT 2015

GStreamer is pretty good at not making buffer copies unless it has to. In
your case (unless there are extenuating details you haven't mentioned), the
input buffer will be shared by all three videocrops, which will each crop
directly to the hardware buffers of the ximagesinks. So, there isn't a lot
of room to deal with choppiness there.

Things you might consider trying: use xvimagesink, as it tends to be
faster, and there's a good chance your video is already using some non-RGB
compression.

For a similar application (displaying 4k and 8k videos spread across
multiple monitors) we ended up writing our own fast crop routine to speed
things up. We found we were able to get significant performance
improvements over videocrop.

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM, btaidm <tjbradt at mtu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an appsrc that is pushing a large video (a partial cube map with 3
> faces of 4k x 4k) through a gst pipeline to 3 sinks that lead to different
> displays via X11 screens (:0.1, :0.0, :0.2) on separate GPUs, because of
> this, it gets choppy at times.
>

> Pipeline:
>                        ----- queue --- videocrop --- ximagesink
>                      /
> appsrc --- tee ------ queue --- videocrop --- ximagesink
>                      \
>                        ----- queue --- videocrop --- ximagesink
>
> So I would like to cut down on the copying for data into buffers that the
> sinks have, or some other way of moving data in a fast like manner.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bradt
>

> --

Stirling Westrup