How does playbin automatically chose video-sink?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun May 24 06:06:59 PDT 2015

On Fr, 2015-05-22 at 18:49 +0100, Tim Müller wrote:

> > n.b. it should be obvious that I'm interested in gstreamer-1.0
> > solutions.
>
> Playbin uses the autovideosink by default, which will try sinks
> according to their 'rank' as used in gst_element_register().

That's not true in newer versions. It selects sinks based on what
decoder was selected and other heuristics, it's quite complicated
actually.

This e.g. makes sure that vaapisink is chosen when vaapidecode is used,
that is, the best possible decoder/sink combination.

It will also select sinks that support compressed formats if that is
possible.