FrameStepping gstreamer1.x python and general

Turmel, Frederic Frederic.Turmel at arris.com
Fri May 29 21:19:44 PDT 2015

More on this, I was reading the design for the step event. (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/docs/design/part-framestep.txt)

If I understand the step event correctly, a step event will skip the amount of frame specified in the event but those buffers/frames will be drop/flush. Then upon putting the pipeline to playing, it will start at the new position.

If I'm correct, this may not be what I'm looking for.  What I'm trying to achieve is pause the pipeline and play frame by frame with a trigger, my app control when the next frame is sent to the sink.

I did a simple test using filesink as the sink with uncompressed video. Nothing is written when I trigger the frame stepping event. I tried with and without the flush flag with same result.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks