gstreamer undefined symbol: _gst_fraction_type error

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Mon Nov 2 01:12:55 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 11:53 -0700, stproj wrote:

Hi,

> I have installed  GStreamer-1.6.0 (...)
>
> My problem is that when i try to execute a compiled code i get this
> weird
> error: *undefined symbol: _gst_fraction_type*

This happens when some code using GStreamer (a plugin, an application
or some library using libgstreamer) was compiled against GStreamer >=
1.4 headers, but then at runtime it picks up an older version of
libgstreamer-1.0.so from somewhere.

Make sure you either set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
point the dynamic linker to the location where the new 1.6 library is
installed, or add the location to your /etc/ld.so.conf*

Perhaps it's also enough to just run 'sudo ldconfig' (which you
generally might want to do after running 'make install' for new
libraries).

You can check which GStreamer gets picked up with:

 $ ldd ./yourapp

Cheers
 -Tim