Question on passing a buffer larger than the pixel size

James Hughes James.Hughes at dspg.com
Mon Nov 9 03:01:51 PST 2015

Odd title, but let me explain!

Using gstreamer1.0 on Raspberry Pi. The encoder component is omxh264enc, the source is a raw Y4M file at 1920x1080p50

There is a HW limitation on the Pi's encoders, which means the dimensions need to be multiples of 16, and unfortunately, 1080 isn't. So the encoder, although encoding to 1080, likes a buffer sized to 1088.

If I pass in a 1080p sized buffer, I get corruption on the last few lines of the frame, due to the random nature of the image from 1080-1088 (overflowing the buffer)

What I need to able to do is pass the large buffer in to the encoder, with black in the final 8 lines, but the encoder still expecting to encode at 1080p

I have tried videobox, videoscale etc, but these all result in the encoder encoding at 1088. Is there any way to use buffer sizes at 1088 but with actual image dimensions at 1080?

TIA

James