What is error -5?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Nov 15 23:24:33 PST 2015

On Sa, 2015-11-14 at 13:26 +0000, Ian Davidson wrote:
> I have a video clip which will play using playbin like this.
> gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///run/media/ian/LEXAR/MOV05E.Mpg
>
> But, I want to be able to play around with it - so I tried this
> gst-launch-1.0 -e --gst-debug=4 filesrc location=MOV05E.Mpg ! queue !
> videorate ! videoscale ! videoconvert ! "video/x-
> raw,format=(string)I420,width=720,height=576,framerate=(fraction)5/1"
> ! autovideosink

Error -5 is GST_FLOW_ERROR, you'd have to dig in the debug logs to find
the reason why this happens.

In your case the reason is that you try to pass a .mpg file (a
container format containing compressed media) to elements that only
accept rate video. That can't work and you'll have to use a demuxer and
decoder first, or use decodebin between filesrc and the queue.