Losing Packets When trasmitting data over UDP through RTP.

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 03:24:32 PST 2015

Hi

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:17 AM, prasanth123 <
arisettiprasanthkumar at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Problem is At receivers end i am not getting all the frames and the
> video also not playing properly. Only one frame playing and stopping and
> again playing only single frame.

How do you detect that you "at receiver end" are "not getting all the
frames" ?
How many Mbps are you sending ?
What kind of hardware and which OS is the "receiver end"?
What is the system load of the "receiver end"?

I have had similar problems loosing RTP packets on both heavy loaded XEON
based Linux servers as well as Raspberry PI based systems. I suspected
network packet loss, but saw no loss when using tcpdump to inspect RTP
sequence number yet the udpsrc module was not picking up all the packets.
It turned out that improving the systems UDP receiver buffer was the
answer. On a Raspberry Pi 2 I used the following

sysctl  -w net.core.rmem_max=2621440

This increased the default udp receiver buffer by a factor 16 for a RaspPi2
running Ubuntu. Other distros may have other defaults. Other OSs have
similar ways to increase the system default UDP receiver buffer.

Best regards
Peter