What is gstreamer doing when it says "Redistribute latency..."

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Sat Oct 10 02:50:16 PDT 2015

Le jeudi 08 octobre 2015 à 18:52 +0200, Graham Leggett a écrit :
> Can anyone describe to me what gstreamer is doing when it prints out
> the message "Redistribute latency…”?
>
> What does it mean to “redistribute latency” exactly?

It means that the application have received he LATENCY message. This
message is sent to signal to the application when the latency of an
element have changed. In gst-launch-1.0, the application will simply
distribute this new latency into the pipeline with
 gst_bin_recalculate_latency(). If you are setting a higher latency,
you will instead want to check that the new combined latency is not
higher then you chosen latency.

Nicolas