Low FPS with rtpgstpay and udpsink

Mark Howell mark-sub1 at hypgnosys.org
Thu Oct 15 10:43:08 PDT 2015

On 10/15/2015 09:57 AM, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can use lossless H.264, with "x264enc pass=quant quantizer=0", but
> that won't give you amazing compression. With h.264 intra-only
> profiles, you can get near-lossless qualities at lower bitrates.
>
> Olivier

Hamdi, you might also look at huffyuv (avenc_huffyuv and avdec_huffyuv).

This, derived from your test pipelines, ran at reasonable speed on my
system just now, with a gst 1.6.0 build, so realtime encoding is
possible (though this is a very simple scene):

$ gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc pattern=ball ! video/x-raw, format=GRAY8,
width=1088, height=1000, framerate=40/1 ! videoconvert ! avenc_huffyuv !
queue ! avdec_huffyuv ! videoconvert ! xvimagesink

Since x264enc takes I420 et al, and avenc_huffyuv takes Y42B, RGB, or
BGRA, there are colorspace conversions to/from GRAY8 which could lead to
some loss (I don't know, just to keep in mind).

Cheers,

Mark.