Latency Reduction in windows

John Weber rjohnweber at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:05:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Raushan Kumar Choudhary <
raushankumar at tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>  I am using Gstreamer to stream video from hardware device(Freescale
> Imx6)  to windows surface pro through wifi but not able to achieve the
> expected latency(100ms),So can you please let me know what all parameter we
> need to check to reduce the latency.Currently our latency is not fixed ,it
> varies between 150 to 200ms.
>

> Following are the Pipeline we have tried on Windows Serface Pro and on the
> hardware:
>

> WindowsSurface Pro:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5000 caps =\"application/x-rtp,
> media=(string)video,clock-rate=(int)90000,encoding-name=(string)H264\" !
> rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! glimagesink sync=false async=false
> enable-last-buffer=true
>

> gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5000 caps =\"application/x-rtp,
> media=(string)video,clock-rate=(int)90000,encoding-name=(string)H264\" !
> rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! autovideosink sync=false async=false
> enable-last-buffer=true
>

> Hardware:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 -v imxv4l2src device=/dev/video1 !
> 'video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=(fraction)30/1' ! vpuenc codec=6 ! queue !
> rtph264pay pt=96 mtu=1380 ! udpsink host=10.4.30.40 port=5000 sync=false
> async=false
>

> I'm using gst-rtsp-server with the i.MX6 which integrates a lot of stream
management, and rtspsrc on the client end ((in my case an IOS device, your
Windows Surface Pro).  I haven't directly measured the latency (that's a
little difficult to measure), but I believe it to be less than 100 ms under
certain circumstances.  One of the circumstances is that my i.MX6 board has
to be connected via wired ethernet, but the IOS device can (obviously)
connect to a local Wifi AP and the latency will be fine low.  If I directly
connect via Wifi the IOS device and the i.MX6 board (using the i.MX6 board
as an AP), I have a much worse scenario.  Longer latencies, lots of missing
packets.  I believe that the Wifi link on the i.MX6 is to blame because
I've effectively ruled out a problem with Wifi on the IOS device.  I'm
trying to get to the bottom of these issues now.

Anyway, I don't know if this will help you but it might get you thinking
that the issue could be somewhere else in your system, or you might look at
using gst-rtsp-server instead of gst-launch with a udpsink.

Also, what happens if you remove queue from the sending pipeline?

John