python binding - Gst.Message.new_error doesn't know how many arguments it wants

Jan Spurný JSpurny at seznam.cz
Thu Oct 29 04:56:30 PDT 2015

Hi,

I encountered really weird behaviour of Gst.Message.new_error - according to
documentation, it should accept 3 arguments - src, error and debug. But if I
pass 3 arguments, it throws an exception complaining that it needs 2
arguments. When I pass 2 arguments, it suddenly wants 3. I'm stuck, because I
can't use it.

This is how to reproduce the behaviour:

>>> import gi
>>> gi.require_version('Gst', '1.0')
>>> from gi.repository import Gst
>>> Gst.init(None)
[]
>>> o = Gst.ElementFactory.make('fakesink')
>>> e = Gst.Message.new_error(o, None, None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: new_error() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
>>> e = Gst.Message.new_error(o, None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: new_error() takes exactly 3 argument(s) (2 given)

Debian Linux 8.2 amd64, python2.7, gstreamer 1.4.4.0

Am I doing something wrong or am I forgetting something?