HLS Server not working with apple device

David Wells dwells at blackcreekisc.com
Mon Sep 14 05:46:22 PDT 2015

Thank you for the Info Graham.

From: gstreamer-devel [mailto:gstreamer-devel-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org] On Behalf Of Graham Leggett
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 4:57 PM
To: Discussion of the development of and with GStreamer <gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: HLS Server not working with apple device

On 11 Sep 2015, at 18:07, David Wells <dwells at blackcreekisc.com <mailto:dwells at blackcreekisc.com> > wrote:

Is there a known issue with gstreamer HLS and safari?

I struggled recently with streaming HLS, I wasn't getting the required packets that indicated metadata like frame rate.

Get hold of mediastreamvalidator from Apple (you need a dev account subscription) and point it at the HLS stream. I recently got some bugs fixed in mediastreamvalidator where it was passing gstreamer streams that Apple devices wouldn't play, it now picks up the problems I had.

Streaming is different to transcoding a single file, as usually the metadata is sent once at the start of the file in the transcoding case, and at regular intervals in the streaming case.

Regards,

Graham