linux vaapi, Could not initialize supporting library.

Víctor M. Jáquez L. vjaquez at igalia.com
Tue Apr 5 07:13:12 UTC 2016

On 04/05/16 at 12:24am, Miloš Selečéni wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying basic HW encoding on linux(Centos7 and NvidiaM4000), using
> vaapi-1.7.91 but every vaapi plugin (e.g vaapih264enc , vaapih265enc) fail
> to initialize. I build all from source code including x265, libav etc.
>
> ./gst-launch-1.0 --gst-debug=2,vaapih265enc:5 -ev videotestsrc
> num-buffers=60 ! vaapih265enc:5 ! fakesink
>
> videoencoder
> gstvideoencoder.c:1559:gst_video_encoder_change_state:<vaapiencodevp8-0>
> error: Failed to open encoder

Run the command vainfo and you'll get a list of codecs supported by you
hardware.

Being a nvidia card, there is not encoding support of any codec. AFAIK, H265
is only supported by the intel backend from skylake boards.

> from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstVaapiEncodeVP8:vaapiencodevp8-0:
> Could not initialize supporting library.

VP8???? That's not HEVC/H265... strange...

But, yeah, we can do better at log messaging this kind of errors.

vmjl