Creating a gstreamer bin element

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Mon Apr 11 12:13:31 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-04-11 at 09:43 +0200, Edgar Thier wrote:

Hi,

> I am trying to create a bin gstreamer element to automate some things
> that are related to usb cameras.
>
> However I am unable to find a good tutorial on how to create such an
> element and I can't make head
> or tail of the camerabin or decodebin code.
>
> Any hints on how to get a working bin element would be appreciated.

It depends what you want to do exactly, if you want to sub-class GstBin
and register your own element with the GStreamer registry, or if you
just want to create a convenience bin as an abstraction layer in your
application.

For the former you could look at the autodetect plugin in -good.

For the latter, gst_bin_parse_from_description() is the easiest way,
otherwise just create a new bin with gst_bin_new(), add elements to it,
link them, and then add ghostpad(s).

Regards
 -Tim