a few questions wrt new release 1.8--reference this link if you build from tarballs

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Apr 14 06:19:51 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-04-13 at 18:15 -0700, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Thanks Sebastian for your helpful response.
>
> You mentioned that debian packages were available for the 1.8 release.
> However, on the debian site for jessie packages, they appear to still be at
> version 1.4.4, so I went ahead and built from your recent 1.8 tarballs. It's
> always easier/faster dealing with official packages, but I still felt I
> needed to be familiar with the raw build process so I can more easily stay
> in sync with your official releases manually if required. So the time spent
> today playing with configure/make/apt-get is well worth it to me.

Debian does not upgrade any packages in stable releases (e.g. jessie)
except for security relevant or really severe bugs. It definitely does
not update to newer major releases of anything.

The 1.8 packages are in Debian unstable and testing, and you can find
them here:
https://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gstreamer1.0.html
(and gst-plugins-base/good/bad/ugly1.0, etc).

It might make sense to get 1.8 into the Debian backports for jessie,
but I don't have the time for that currently.