gstreamer: v4l2videodec plugin

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:58:21 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Stanimir Varbanov
<stanimir.varbanov at linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On 04/11/2016 07:25 PM, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
>> Le lundi 11 avril 2016 à 15:11 +0300, Stanimir Varbanov a écrit :
>>> adding gstreamer-devel

>> I'm very happy to see this report. So far, we only had report that this
>> element works on Freescale IMX.6 (CODA) and Exynos 4/5.
>
> In this context, I would be very happy to see v4l2videoenc merged soon :)

>> So far the DMABuf support in glimagesink has been tested on Intel/Mesa
>> and libMALI. There is work in progress in Gallium/Mesa, but until
>> recently there was no support for offset in imported buffer, which
>> would result in BAD_MATCH error. I cannot guaranty this is the exact
>> reason here, BAD_MATCH is used for a very wide variety of reason in
>> those extensions. The right place to dig into this issue would be
>> through the Mesa list and/or Mesa code. Find out what is missing for
>> you driver in Mesa and then I may help you further.
>
> I came down to these conditions
>
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/gallium/state_trackers/dri/dri2.c?h=11.2#n1063
>
> but I don't know how this is related. The gstreamer
> (gst_egl_image_memory_from_dmabuf) doesn't set this "level" so it will
> be zero.
>

>> For the reference, the importation strategy we use in GStreamer has
>> been inspired of Kodi (xmbc). It consist of importing each YUV plane
>> seperatly using R8 and RG88 textures and doing the color conversion
>> using shaders. Though, if the frame is allocated as a single DMABuf,
>> this requires using offset to access the frame data, and that support
>
> Yep that is my case, the driver capture buffers has one plain, hence one
> dmabuf will be exported per buffer.
>
>> had only been recently added in Gallium base code and in Radeon driver
>> recently. I don't know if Freedreno, VC4 have that, and I know nouveau
>> don't.
>
> Rob, do we need to add something in Freedreno Gallium driver to handle
> dmabuf import?

The issue is probably the YUV format, which we cannot really deal with
properly in gallium..  it's a similar issue to multi-planer even if it
is in a single buffer.

The best way to handle this would be to import the same dmabuf fd
twice, with appropriate offsets, to create one GL_RED eglimage for Y
and one GL_RG eglimage for UV, and then combine them in shader in a
similar way to how you'd handle separate Y and UV planes..

BR,
-R